You can mark content with a surrogate key and use it to purge groups of specific URLs at once without purging everything, or purging each URL singularly. On the Amazon S3 side, you can use the
x-amz-meta-surrogate-key header to mark your content as you see fit, and then on the Fastly side set up a Header configuration to translate the S3 information into the header we look for.
IMPORTANT: Pay close attention to the capitalization. Amazon S3 only accepts all lowercase header names.
Follow these instructions to set Surrogate-Key headers for Amazon S3 origin servers:
- Log in to the Fastly web interface and click the Configure link.
- From the service menu, select the appropriate service.
- Click the Edit configuration button and then select Clone active. The Domains page appears.
- Click the Content link. The Content page appears.
Click the Create header button. The Create a header page appears.
- Fill out the Create a header fields as follows:
- In the Name field, type a human-readable name for the header. This name is displayed in the Fastly web interface.
- From the Type menu, select Cache, and from the Action menu, select Set.
- In the Destination field, type
- In the Source field, type
- From the Ignore if set menu, select No.
- In the Priority field, type
- Click the Create button to create your header.
- Click the Activate button to deploy your configuration changes.
NOTE: There are several limitations to surrogate keys. See the surrogate key limitations section for more information.