Connection timeouts to your origin server control how long Fastly will wait for a response from your origin server before exiting with an error. Changing the connection timeout is a good way to start troubleshooting 503 backend read errors. Follow the steps below to change the connection timeouts to your origin server:
- Log in to the Fastly web interface.
- From the Home page, select the appropriate service. You can use the search box to search by ID, name, or domain.
- Click the Edit configuration button and then select the option to clone the active version. The Domains page appears.
- Click the Origins link. The Origins page appears.
- Click the link of the Host that you want to edit. The Edit this host page appears.
Click the Advanced options link.
- Type the new timeout in the appropriate field of the Timeouts section.
- Click the Update button.
Additional techniques that help you gain insights into your service configurations can be found in our debugging guides.