We want to create a scenario where we keep the header and footer and general layout stored on the edge and only go back to the origin for core content.
Reasons for this:
- Presumably more performant overall to travel to the origin for fewer bytes
- Store the layout on the edge so we can modify it without having to clear the cache on the whole page. If all views share a layout, we can swap only that part without clearing the page cache, eh?
- Currently we store entire documents, so can't easily roll out site-wide design changes etc. that all go into effect at the same time because pages are entirely cached at the edge.
- Is this to be done through ESI?
- Will ESI play nicely with Gzipping?
- Will multiple stored partials have the similar performance if all served together from the edge as single cached documents like we use now?
- In general, are we thinking about this the right way?
Please sign in to leave a comment.